Sunday, January 20, 2008

Crippled by choice

It has been written that choice is an enemy because it freezes us with indecision. I expect that we would all prefer a little choice over absolutely none at all; but too much can be a very bad thing. This is now the case with orange juice. Back in the day one just bought orange juice. One's decision came down to one among manufacturers. I was never fully persuaded that geographical origin was a factor; that Florida, California, Brazil, South Africa or Israel all pretty much produced the same kind of orange by the time it ended up in a bottle or box. There was perhaps the issue of "from concentrate" to consider, but that was nothing compared with the crippling array of options now confronting the consumer. From just one manufacturer one can now select from among No Pulp, Some Pulp, Lots of Pulp, Heart Friendly (Omega 3), Antioxidant, Vitamin C, Light and Healthy (whatever that means), Low Acid and Fiber. It was this last named that I was seeking, but could not find on the shelves of Jewel. A watery-eyed youth suggested that it was discontinued. I was stunned. Dulcie observed that showing up at the check-out with a couple of boxes of Fiber juice was the middle-aged equivalent of a teenager with a box of Trojans. I guess I hadn't thought of it in those terms.

On the topic of fiber, there are some muffins offered at TJ's that have the amusing name Moral Fiber and are the triple-imperial strength muffins when it comes to fiber. Dulcie recalls a conversation in the check-out with a woman on these muffins that were in her basket. "One of those and a glass of water and ten minutes later..." Tragically the conversation was interrupted by another and she what did transpire after those ten minutes elapsed is annoyingly left to one's imagination.

4 comments:

Snipper "Book Zeller" said...

You have yet again caused me to make awkward snickerings in the airport computer lab drawing several reproachful looks from fellow pilots (you think people never laugh around here?).

Certainly the selection of Orange Juice is quite breathtaking. I have never stopped to consider the extent "Not from concentrate no/low pulp" orange juice is specific. Perhaps oranges grown in either florida or california is better because it requires less shipping and dependence on foreign supplies (read oil).

shirazgirl said...

snip:

I was not aware that you were piloting something other than a John Deere. Back in my younger days I was learning to fly a Cessna 172 with dear ol' Dad.

My nursing instructor has a sure fire way to encourage the body to perform. The elderly way, of course. A glass of 1/2 warm orange juice and 1/2 warm prune juice. A couple of swigs of that and ten minutes later...

Snipper "Book Zeller" said...

Actually through out all my trainings, ive been instructed in various aircraft including said C172.

And Shiraz also has that uncanny knack for me to start laughing at seemingly awkward moments. Fortunately I am in my room and my roommate is well acustumed to such outbreaks.

I have to say, you connection back to the Jmaster himself's comment about "10 minutes later..." has awarded you a free internet.

Snipper "Book Zeller" said...

Sorry to wall spam you, Professor J but I just had to add this to coexist with yours and Shiraz's comments...
I was at Eastern Illinois University in Charleston (which I think you had something to say about previously) visiting the female counter part there.
They often warn of dorm food and its effects on the digestive track. Well UofI has always been pretty palatable if not downright "descent."
Well the food at Eastern. Take anything from the main service area, combined with the bad fruit and 10 minutes later...