Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Outed

The Savvy Cyber Professor's double life was amusingly exposed when interested readers attempted to contact me by phone. My department vigorously denied the existence of any Aylwin Forbes on faculty and insisted that he must be a fraud. Perhaps he really is a fraud in some other context but not in this one. It's just that his cyber identity and real-life identity were confused. Fortunately the caller persisted and the problem resolved. To be honest, I had never anticipated anybody really being sufficiently motivated to follow up on any of my spoutings. Not having been born with a silver computer in my mouth, the incredible reach and power of the whole internet thing is something I still find a little astonishing. To think it was just a few years ago when I first introduced the web into the classroom discussion, I would begin by showing students how to type www.

No comments: